Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gnocchi!

I made gnocchi!!! I've wanted to for years ever since I saw it on Food Network. I got Tyler Florence's recipe. So here are 2 lbs. of baked potatoes cooling. I had to peel the skins off and then out them in a food mill. Well, I don't have a food mill so I saw another recipe say that you can use a cheese grater. I did not recommend that!!! Oh my goodness, my hands were killing me. They were tired and achy and burning. But I got some super smooth potatoes! lol

Then I added the egg white, flour, salt, and baking powder. Then you dust the counter with flour and knead the dough a little. You take off a chunk and roll it into a log about an index finger thick. You cut off an inch from the log, roll it down the fork, and make it a crescent shape.

So here is the gnocchi boiling. It only takes a minute or two to cook. But it took me 2 hours to make! LOL By the time I was done, I had flour all over my pants and the arms of my chair. Plus, the kitchen was a WRECK! It took me 20 minutes just to clean up everything. Even though I was coated in flour and surrounded by a mess, I had a huge grin on my face. Go figure. :-D I don't think I'll make these again unless I get a food mill. So I was exhausted the rest of the evening. I just watched HGTV and the O'Reilly Factor until I went to sleep at 10:20. I did nothing for 4 hours. The consequences of making gnocchi. lol But by all means, try your hand at it! My husband loved it. :-)




Ok, instead of noodles I added the gnocchi to this meal. The spinach was supposed to go in the meal. But I forgot with all the gnocchi craziness. :-) It's just basil chicken with tomatoe sauce, diced tomatoes, neufchatel cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Ben liked it. Next time I'll do noodles. :-D





Whew, at least I've accomplished another culinary challenge. I'm still worn out.....



No comments:

Post a Comment